The SJC is the third oldest, continually running jazz club in the world and is a non-profit organisation dedicated to the promotion of live jazz of the traditional genre.
The Sydney Jazz Club was created to provide a jazz venue at a time when traditional jazz venues and concerts were in decline. Founding members were Fred Starkey (Inaugral President), Ian Mc Lachlan, Harry Harman, Bob Learmonth, Keith Davidson and Ian Cuthbertson. The inaugural function on the 8th August 1953 featured the Paramount Jazz Band, which was the club's band for quite a number of years.
After two years at the Real Estate Institute in Martin Place, the club moved to the Ironworkers Building in George Street, where their popularity increased and they were able to present other bands and hold functions weekly instead of fortnightly. Popularity increased until the mid 1960's when crowds of over 1000 would assemble. The problems this caused led to a cancellation of functions until a more manageable venue could be found.
Now the Sydney Jazz Club runs three functions a month - an evening concert, an afternoon (lunch time) concert and a Sunday afternoon picnic. Members receive a monthly Newsletter full of great, in-depth information about jazz in and around Sydney and the 'Quarterly Rag', a news journal/magazine full of interesting articles and interviews.
Any comments regarding this site or additional information for inclusion would be appreciated and can be emailed to SJC President, Ian McAllister.
The 'Little People' Logo
The 'Little People' graphic was created for the Sydney Jazz Club by Life Member Terry Fowler and adopted as its logo in 1962. It is a caricature of the original founding club members who were the Paramount Jazz Band, who formed the jazz club in 1953. The logo copyright is held by Terry Fowler and Sydney Jazz Club Co-op Ltd.